Saturday, December 20, 2008

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson


I LOVE Shirley Jackson's writing. I love the way she describes things and how see views the world around her. She writes about hidden suburban sickness. She was desperate housewives before that became a theme in popular culture. The smiling happy faces hiding dark secrets and depraved acts underneath.

That being said this was the second time I read this book. I believe this may be the only novel I've read more than once. I picked it up because I saw a reprinting with the most gorgeous cover and I had to own it and I feel guilty when I own a book that I haven't read, so I read it. She never disappoints, even reading it again I was fascinated by the neurosis of both the Blackwood girls as they lived their 'lives' by their daily routine.
Merricat, said Connie, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh no, said Merricat, you'll poison me.
Merricat, said Connie, would you like to go to sleep?
Down in the boneyard ten feet deep!

No comments: